Step On Bus Tours


248.619.6692

steponbustours@gmail.com

23211 Woodward Ave. #121

​Ferndale, MI 48220

​Facebook: stepon.bustour page

Twitter: @StepOnBusTours

Sunday, June 5, 2016

AIRBNB: IS IT FOR YOU? 12 THINGS TO CONSIDER

My lovely room at an Airbnb. Clean & nicely appointed.
When I travel I enjoy staying in an approved lodging facility. Preferably one that has an elevator, lit exit signs, an antiseptically clean and private room and parking so I can see my vehicle. Motels and Bed and Breakfast Inns are alright by me. 

So when I stayed at Airbnb recently, I really learned a lot about an undercurrent of the lodging industry that's taking billions of dollars away from the hotels/motels. 

The reason for my staying at an Airbnb is that I attended a travel conference about 1.5 hours from my home or four tanks of gas plus the wear and tear on my "senior" vehicle. 

Hotels were too expensive for my budget so I searched online for an Airbnb. My criteria was simple -- a historic structure, close to the conference, inexpensive. 

I found a lovely 1920s home with history for $25 per evening plus the $6 Airbnb fee.  The owner and I communicated and we both felt that the reservation was okay and that each of us is an upstanding citizen. As I explained to her, I would be at a nearby conference all day long and simply needed a bed and shower. Nothing more. I applied for the stay and my credit card as immediately debited for the amount. 

When others asked about my criteria and why didn't I put safety first, I balked, never even considering that I wouldn't be safe. I've traveled the most in Canada and Europe for decades on my own or to meet up with friends. I've had to depend on strangers when the Italian railroad workers went on strike in the middle of nowhere and I didn't know where to go and others took me under their wing; when I was horribly sick; when I couldn't understand the language and needed to be driven to the train station. Maybe I am too trusting. And, I made it out alive. 

However, in my rich-like-fine-wine life, I read people well. The lady of the Airbnb is a great person with an immaculately clean home. She was very friendly and even helped me locate my favorite BBC-TV show Grantchester so I could watch the latest episode.  How very thoughtful.

Airbnb's aren't for everyone though. It's an interesting concept and was created for people to see the area of their choice with a local. However, many are in it for the dough. As a way to keep their homes, to pay the mortgage, to earn extra income. There are almost 200 countries offering Airbnbs -- even some in your backyard. You'd be surprised. If you want to know more about Airbnbs, search online. This post is only about MY experience and not a summary of the latest stay-and-play fad that is quickly growing in extreme popularity and taking billions away from the lodging industry -- which quickly translates into people's jobs. 

Here are things to consider though if you are planning a stay at an Airbnb.

1. Neighborhood could be marginal
2. Stairs, not clearly marked. Bannister may not be handicapped approved. And, don't expect handicapped accessible. 
3. Bring your own soap and towels. It's not a hotel. There is no box of tissues for your runny nose.
4. Parking may not be close and you may not even see your vehicle.
5. Coffee and/or breakfast may not be supplied.
6. Only you are going to haul your luggage to your room - there's no porter and don't scratch the wood floors. You're responsible for damages.
7. Stay close to your location -- crucial for me.
8. Economical for me, but some Airbnbs may be more expensive than a hotel
9. Noise -- traffic, dogs barking, aquarium running all night long -- you have no control.
10. You are Housekeeping and are told off the bat to leave the place better than you found it. Both you and the owner review each other much like an ebay purchase.
11. If you have a slip and fall you bear the cost as the Airbnb's insurance will not cover anything for the guest or homeowner. This will be news should an owner try to collect and may be discontinued for running a business using standard homeowners insurance as protection. You're at risk. Be very careful.
12. Don't expect to see a fire extinguisher all kinds of safety this and that, a smoke or carbon monoxide detectors. You're in a person's home.
13. People snore and you will hear each other all night long. Go to the bathroom at night, you'll hear that, too.

If you haven't tried it, don't knock it. Again, I was on a severe budget.

The Airbnb experience was fine with me. I had no problems, no difficulties, no complaints. 

As I said, I prefer hotels. I am uncomfortable staying in someone's house. Yet, the Airbnb was there for me when I needed it. And, it's not regulated. Use caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment