Step On Bus Tours


248.619.6692

steponbustours@gmail.com

23211 Woodward Ave. #121

​Ferndale, MI 48220

​Facebook: stepon.bustour page

Twitter: @StepOnBusTours

Sunday, December 25, 2016

CITY CHURCHES NEED A BUCK

A small group is keeping this church sustaniable
Why does it seem that the old churches inspire so much more reverence than the one I attend in the northern suburbs, which
is truly a hoot-n-nanny!   It's a combination of things. And most of it physically psychological.  I believe that there are three major factors to cause people to love old churches:  

1. Architecture inspires tradition, a firm foundation, A Mighty Fortress. Exquisite design.
2. Awe-inspiring art work shows that holiness permeates the structure. 
3. Services seem more sacred because of the atmosphere, and maybe incense. 

It's no secret that we're losing our churches in Detroit for lack of funding, which boils down to lack of attendance. No one wants the churches to close, yet it takes money to be viable.

I am an advocate of taking groups to see "old" buildings, churches and city layout along with downtown statues to famous folk. My belief is that if suburbanites would visit these old churches once a month and donate $5-$20 per visit, the churches would be stable enough to remain financially viable.  In almost every City of Detroit tour I do, a church is always part of the program. I can't donate a large chunk on my own, but together the donation is more sizeable.  And who is the wiser?

When visiting a church with a group, not only do I write a fat check, but the travelers open their wallets. It's up to them.  I don't even mention the word give. 

However,  I've even encouraged churches to request donations from group site visits. Other tour companies may not agree with me because it eats into profits. Big deal.  No one has an idea of the cost of the electricity just to view the interior of the sacred space. 

Let's do that one thing, visit a church or send a donation to the place once a month ...  if all you've got is $5 a month, send it.  Even these few dollars make all the difference. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment