Step On Bus Tours


248.619.6692

steponbustours@gmail.com

23211 Woodward Ave. #121

​Ferndale, MI 48220

​Facebook: stepon.bustour page

Twitter: @StepOnBusTours

Friday, December 16, 2016

6 TIPS FOR SAFE DRIVING or WAYS TO DEAL WITH JERKY DRIVERS

From my seat behind the Captain of our 55 passenger motor coach, I see many dumb things that drivers do on the road that are just plain stupid. Please don't be one of them.

A few words of caution are always appropriate and most of all necessary during winter driving weather. Not just for motor coaches but for all large vehicles not to mention the standard automobile.

My drivers are so very professional and keep their cool when drivers do dumb things like swerve in front of them, make inappropriate gestures or or make a right turn from the far left lane. It happens all the time. They anticipate the worst on the road and plan a solid driving strategy to keep passengers safe.

For example, I recently lead a trip from Dexter to Detroit to Lake Orion and back. The passengers complained that it took so long to return because they did not know the extent of the road conditions until they saw 6 inches of snow on the hoods of their cars and the icy parking lot. Then, they understood and thanked the driver profusely for the safe trip. 

My drivers are pros and I am very proud of them. They never loose it. 

Here are a few pointers for the Joe and Josie drivers of the world when near buses.
  1. Do not cut in front of buses – The bus has to anticipate so many feet in order to stop.  
  2. Don't text & drive – Seriously. Pay attention to the road so that you can stop in plenty of time in order not to hit the vehicle in front of you. On almost every trip, my travelers point out the number of people who are texting while driving. Does anyone keep their eyes on the road anymore?
  3. Wear an apron – When you eat in the car and spill your meal or beverage, let it be or pull over. The bus did not cause you to drop your burger. I asked a friend to make an apron for me just for that reason as I pile on between 500-1,000 miles weekly on my vehicle when I scope out places prior to my trips. I don't want to stop for meals so I eat on the road. My car is set up for beverage spills, lots of napkins, garbage bags and straws along with water bottles. I love my apron.  
  4. Fido – Please … not on your lap. You need to see the entire road and know your vehicle's relation to other drivers. Be sure to outfit the back seat with a sleeping bag so the pooch can “settle in,” along with a chewy so doggie has something “to do” while on the road. My little fur girl knows the rules of car driving. 
  5. Avoid reading the mail – The number of people who tear open envelopes or check their cell phone while driving surprises me. Please do not read any mail what so ever. 
  6. Wipe away slush – No reason to curse. Sure there may be some slush that the tail of the bus may throw upon your windshield; just use your wipers to clear it off. Make sure that you have plenty of wiper fluid and that the car's wiper spritzer works so that your windshield is clear.
  7. Cell phone chats -- Come on. If you must, make it hands free or wait until you arrive at your destination. In certain cities, it is against the law to hold a cell phone to your ear. In some areas, it's forbidden to talk on the cell phone whatsoever. 

If you just keep these simple things in mind, winter driving will be easier for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment