Step On Bus Tours


248.619.6692

steponbustours@gmail.com

23211 Woodward Ave. #121

​Ferndale, MI 48220

​Facebook: stepon.bustour page

Twitter: @StepOnBusTours

Sunday, January 18, 2015

THE OTHER FORGOTTEN SOLDIER

"It's like walking through a living travel book." I've been saying this all day at the Chicago Travel & Adventure Show here at the Donald Stephens Convention Hall in Rosemont. 
Me with Officer Zander recently retired State Police pooch.

Here I am, although the pix is blurry, with a retired canine Massachusetts State Police Office Zander. (And just what happened to my hair I'll never know) At 7 years old, he is retired from the Force.  He was an apprenender dog for drugs and drug busting.  When he stopped biting, he was dismissed.  His handler told me that the police need a dog that bites criminals.

I found Zander to be quite the loving and gentle pooch. For me to be without a dog is quite lonely. So, this little "meet & greet" provided a much needed pooch fix for me.  
What I learned about Officer Zander is that it cost about $25,000 to train dogs like him.  Sadly, canines with  the military, Homeland Security, Police, Lockland Air Force are put down at the end of their careers even though they are viable and healthy.  The funny thing is that it cost nothing, nada, zero, to own this kind of pet.  One does have to qualify though.  Typically, the dogs go to veterans first, public second. 

My Alex is 14.  I see how she is aging and it is sad to see how cruel nature is to her little body.  She tries so hard to jump but can only manage to crawl up on the couch unless I give her a boost. She loves it when I help her into the car. Alex could not handle sharing me with another dog.  So, for me to adopt a dog is out of the question at this time. If I could I would.  

These working & armed forces pooches are kept in kennels and then out in the field with their handlers. They do not have a family. Naturally, this dog and I bonded immediately.  Of course, it helps to speak dog. And, the scent of Alex on my clothes told Zander that I am a dog-friendly kind of gal.  

The organization at the show is called Save-A-Vet.  Save-A-Vet.org. The other forgotten soldier. I think these pooches are ideal for those who live alone. For those who need the kind of wonderful companionship that only a dog like this can provide. 






No comments:

Post a Comment